Apart from going in for medicines, you can opt for natural toenail fungus treatments, which do prove effective in managing the symptoms and hastening the healing.
Toenail fungus is one of the common cosmetic problems in people in different parts of the world. The symptoms of a toenail problem are not only painful, but are more of an unpleasant sight. Dermatophytes are known to be a group of fungi, and one belonging to this very group is responsible for causing a toenail infection. Apart from fungi, there are yeasts and molds, which have also been identified as the causal microorganisms of the condition. Warm and moist environments serve as ideal breeding grounds for all such pathogens. All they require is a small wound or a tiny separation between the nail and the nail bed to invade the skin and begin the infection. We would go through the symptoms of the infection, before knowing about the different methods for natural toenail fungus treatment.
Toenail Fungus Symptoms
Factors which act as early indicators for toenail fungus include the formation of white or yellow spots under the tip of the toenail or finger nail. If the infection is not treated at this stage, it tends to cover more grounds in the nail and give rise to symptoms such as thickening and discoloration. The affected nail may become brittle and crumbly and distorted in shape as well. Due to obvious reasons, the nail would lack luster or shine. One can also notice the accumulation of dark debris under the nail.
Natural Remedies for Toenail Fungus
To begin with the natural toenail fungus treatment, you can use various types of vinegar to manage your toenail problem well. The benefit of putting vinegar into use comes from the fact that the acidity of the solution curbs the growth of the fungus, thus hastening the recovery period and encouraging new growth.
* Mix generous amount of white vinegar in a bucket of water. The quantity of the solution should be enough to make your toes immersed to the full extent. Give it a wait of 30 minutes, before you take your feet out of the water. Use a clean towel to dry off your feet properly. Repeat this method daily until the symptoms start improving.
* Another type of vinegar which proves helpful in the natural toenail fungus treatment is the apple cider vinegar. All is required is to drink two tablespoons of it, thrice daily. This helps in warding off the infection from within. You can also add fruit juice or carbonated beverages to it, to improve the taste.
* For some people, the best natural toenail fungus treatment happens to be the use of tea tree oil. Before going to bed, wash your feet and rub the affected toenail with the oil using a cotton ball. Use of tea tree oil for toenail fungus has been one of the age-old remedies for most people.
* Soaking the feet in a mixture of water and Listerine, everyday for about 15 - 30 minutes, helps in healing the infection.
* The use of a solution of bleach and water is also popular as one of the common toenail fungus home remedies. Simply soak the feet in it and notice appreciable improvements.
There is no dubiousness in the effectiveness of all these methods described for the natural toenail fungus treatment. However, the fact remains that if the infection is a serious one, then these few remedies may not work so well. Even over-the-counter medications may not be so effective. So, in such cases, prescription-strength medications may come in handy in dealing with such kind of a problem. Such drugs not only help in curing the condition but also cuts down the risk of any future recurrences.